Friday, December 16, 2016

100 days of 100 words, day 5: sleep

Sleep

In high school, when I was babysitting, I just wanted to lie down next to the kiddies after story time.  I would make it to 9:00, 10:00...by 11:00 I was drifting off and promising myself that I would leap up when the door rattled and somehow convince the parents I had been on high alert the whole time.

The worst part of having a roommate in college was the sleep need discrepancy.  And all-nighters?    I tried.  But at some point I would start seeing double and then I would fall asleep on top of my books.  

When I was a counselor at Girls' State, I drank endless glasses of Diet Coke trying to keep on top of the schedule.  Then, one night after the girls were asleep, I sat down at the edge of my bed and woke up the next morning, feet still flat on the floor, staring up at the glowing fluorescents.  


No comments:

Post a Comment