Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Also at the V&A...

The jewelry room: very dark except for the lighted displays of jewels. I'm proud to say that I only bumped into two people and it was their fault for wearing black. It's astonishing to realize that these elaborate tiaras and necklaces and rings actually were worn by real people to actual events. Glittering, teetering women and posing men. I also enjoyed seeing something more ordinary: a chatelaine. This is a sort of belt worn by housekeepers and landladies. Since most dresses did not have pockets, they wore this contraption from which dangled various useful household items such as keys, scissors, a thimble, a purse for coins, etc. I thought briefly of Snyder from One Day at a Time.

Design through the 20th century: Chairs, tea sets, lamps, radios, cabinets and more through the 20th century. For some reason it makes me happy to see these things and imagine the daily lives of people from another time. I find it easier to imagine sitting down to tea in a side chair next to a radio in the 1940s than to imagine wearing a gigantic frock and pounds of jewels. I'm really more of a chatelaine type of gal....

No comments:

Post a Comment